- Exploring ways our platform can be used to augment your care visits as a telehealth tool as well as looking at partners in that space. Please see General Resources below.
- Engaging with veterinary consultants and talking with customers to understand how others are managing their business through this time of change – to understand best practices and to share those ideas with others.
- Sharing how product features, like mass messaging and Two-Way Messaging, can help clinics provide clients updates.
- Accelerating efforts with ongoing platform improvements to help our partners.
- Offering our customers access to the tools they need during the pandemic.
With the amount of uncertainty and stress on your team, family, and business with the recent outbreak of COVID-19, we have dedicated this page to collecting and distributing best practices, resources, and other updates to veterinary professionals while navigating their practice through the pandemic. We will continue to update this page as new information becomes available, so make sure to check back.
Communication Best Practices
As the situation has changed, we have been closely monitoring the messages and communications our partner clinics have been using. Below are some of the things to keep in mind as you craft communications:
- Over-communicate with your clients. Things are constantly changing and it’s important to keep them in the loop. Use your website and social media for daily updates.
- Remind clients what precautions are being taken. Utilize the communication tools that you have at your practice to maintain contact with clients.
- Utilize your online pharmacy. This is a great way to maintain social distancing while fulfilling client needs. Let us know if you need to add a link to your provider card on the PetDesk App!
- Define and communicate any changes that are happening. Are you doing curbside pickup? Should other representatives drop off pets if the primary caregiver is feeling ill? If you’re a PetDesk customer, reach out to us if you’d like to add protocol or instructions in appointment reminders for clients.
- Tell your clients what is not changing. Are there things that haven’t changed? Clients’ expectations are disrupted currently, so reassuring them of the things that have not changed is valuable.
To ensure your clients receive and read your communications during this hectic time, here are some helpful tips for drafting messages to your clients:
- Make a checklist of the information you need to share. The shorter, the better. Include critical information only.
- Choose clear subject lines. Make information like COVID-19 updates, easy to find in your clients’ inboxes. If you use “COVID-19” in your subject line, use “Coronavirus” in your message body, so that your clients can use either term to search for it.
- Be clear and concise. Simple, easy-to-understand sentences are key. If a sentence you include is not clearly informational, helpfully explanatory, or professionally empathetic, cut it.
- Put yourself in your clients’ shoes. Understand their anxiety and fear for themselves and for their pets. Explain why you’re taking the actions you are. Explain any other policies clients may have questions about. Make sure to express that you understand their experience.
If you are a PetDesk customer, feel free to talk with your Customer Success Manager about the best tools to use for your messages.
Here are some additional resources to help you with client communication: COVID-19 update emailed to AVMA members (3/15/20)
A brief and current notice of information and resources for veterinarians and veterinary business owners.
AVMA’s Telehealth Basics
An introductory primer to the basics of telehealth, telemedicine, and other forms of remote healthcare.
AAHA’s eBook “The Real Life Rewards of Virtual Care”
A deeper dive into virtual care, use cases, and other notes on virtual care. AVMA’s COVID-19 FAQ for Pet Owners (3/12/20)
An FAQ for the concerned pet owner, and background on the disease as it relates to pet owners.
FDA’s List of State VCPR Definitions
Find your state here to understand the legislation defining the VCPR.
AAVSB State Tracker
Bookmark this to keep abreast of telemedicine updates at your state and in the wider industry.