Remember veterinary conferences? The travel. The food. The bag of knick-knacks you bring home.
Oh, and the opportunity to rack up some Continuing Education (CE) credits.
Conferences for all industries took a hit due to the COVID-19 outbreak, and it’s anyone’s guess when they’ll start to trickle back onto our calendars. Until that happens veterinary professionals — RVTs, CVTs, LVTs, DVMs, CVPMs — need access to CE resources that keep licenses valid. The good news is that there’s an abundance of online CE providers offering credit opportunities approved by RACE, VHMA, and/or state licensing agencies.
To make it even easier for you to get the CE credits you need we’ve compiled the following guide to help you find the courses most appropriate for your particular role.
- The National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (NAVTA.Net) has an interactive online portal that connects Veterinary Nursing and Veterinary Technologist professionals to a variety of social and continuing education learning events and activities.
- VetMedTeam offers a number of free CE opportunities, on-demand, so veterinary professionals can earn RACE and/or CVPM credits when their busy schedules permit.
- Veterinary Support Personnel Network (VSPN.org) offers interactive, online courses designed around live, real-time sessions providing interaction with the instructor and other classmates, active participation in polling questions/answers, and question/answer sessions. The on-demand courses consist of required reading, video modules, and an end-of-course test. VSPN courses are approved for CE credit in jurisdictions that recognize American Association of Veterinary State Boards’ (AAVSB) Registry of Approved Continuing Education (RACE). Practice management courses are approved by the Veterinary Hospital Managers Association (VHMA) for Certified Veterinary Practice Manager (CVPM) credits.
- VetFolio is on a mission to elevate the quality of animal medical care throughout the world by providing online continuing education and resources for the entire veterinary community anytime, anywhere.
- DVM360’s CE Center offers on-demand RACE-approved CE and webinars to support veterinary professionals.
- Clinician’s Brief makes it easy to earn veterinary CE hours with self-guided courses based on the Clinician’s Brief articles, webinars, and podcasts.
- Midwest Veterinary Supply has a robust catalog of webinars, recurring courses, and regional classes for earning CE credits.
- Hill’s North America’s Medical Webinars are provided by Vet Education. The online veterinary CE courses provide quality online continuing education to veterinarians, veterinary nurses/technicians, and support staff. All courses and webinars are RACE-accredited and count for CPD points globally.
- The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) has CE credit opportunities for veterinarians technicians, practice managers, and other team members via the AVMA Axon® library of convenient, easy-to-use CE courses.
- ASPCA pro has the training vet professionals want, on the schedule they choose. The online courses range from cruelty response to toxicology, are all free, and are available 24/7.
- Global Vet Link’s (GVL) comprehensive health and movement regulatory compliance platform saves time for thousands of veterinarians, vet techs, and animal health practitioners. There are no monthly minimums or subscription requirements, unlimited user accounts for veterinarians and staff, and built-in movement rules and compliance checks for members.
- Pet Poison Helpline’s free, RACE- and NYSED-approved toxicology webinars (both live and pre-recorded) earn veterinary professionals one CE credit hour.
- Partners for Healthy Pets (Preventive Healthcare Certificate Program, free)
- Zoeitis Learning Solutions offers access to quality online education. Register through the online portal for access to professional development opportunities, RACE-Approved continuing education course credit, knowledge expansion in key disease areas, and product-level training, information, and support.
These veterinary professional membership organizations offer an array of virtual and on-demand CE credit courses, and some even have free trials available so you can try before you buy.
- Fear Free provides online and in-person education to veterinary professionals, pet professionals, animal welfare communities, and pet owners with courses developed by respected veterinary and pet experts. Learn how you can become a Fear Free Certified Professional and your practice a Fear Free Certified Practice. Fear Free’s Additional Courses page includes RACE-approved opportunities to earn Fear Free CE hours.
- VETgirl is a subscription-based multimedia service offering RACE-approved, online continuing education for veterinary professionals — webinars, Real Life Rounds, videos, podcasts, VETgirl U. Test drive the offerings with a free trial membership.
- The Veterinary Hospital Managers Association (VHMA) is a members-only organization focused on advancing managers and transforming practices. CE offerings include online monthly and on-demand webinars (free for members), a Mastermind Series, and a VHMA/PVU and Management Essentials Series.
- The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) provides virtual, online, and in-person CE credit opportunities for veterinarians, practice managers, and veterinary assistants who are paid members. Visit the current course calendar here.
- The American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) supports its members in improving the health and welfare of cats through high standards of practice, continuing education, and evidence-based medicine. The AAFP eLearning Center contains the Cat-Friendly Certificate Program, as well as a variety of webinars that provide feline-focused continuing education throughout the year.
- VetBloom courses are accessible through à la carte purchases, month-to-month individual subscriptions (70+ RACE-Approved CE credits for both Veterinarians and Technicians), and enterprise subscriptions (270-course catalog). Check out VetBloom’s free CE courses before subscribing.